Pronunciation: [bˈaɡɪɹˌɪŋkə͡l] (IPA)

The word "baggywrinkle" is a unique term used to describe a type of material that is used to prevent chafing on boats. Despite its unusual appearance, the word can be broken down phonetically: [bæɡiˈrɪŋkəl]. The first syllable is pronounced "baggy" as in loose or saggy clothing. The second syllable rhymes with "tingle" with a slight emphasis on the "r" sound. The final syllable is pronounced like "kull" with emphasis on the "l". Despite its difficult spelling, this word is an important piece of nautical terminology.

BAGGYWRINKLE Meaning and Definition

  1. Baggywrinkle is a noun that refers to a protective covering or padding employed on maritime vessels. Specifically, it is a series of loose or flexible rope fenders attached to a ship's standing rigging. These rope fenders are made of lengths of rope or cordage, typically constructed from manila, jute, or synthetic materials, and are designed to protect the standing rigging from chafing against other rigging components or sharp edges on the ship's structure.

    The purpose of baggywrinkle is twofold: it prevents wear and tear on the rigging caused by friction and movement during sailing, and it safeguards against potentially catastrophic damage that could result from a failure of the rigging. The flexible nature of baggywrinkle enables it to move and adjust with the rigging as the ship pitches, rolls, and heaves, mitigating strain and reducing stress on the standing rigging.

    Baggywrinkle is typically installed in areas where the standing rigging comes into contact with other lines or objects, such as the spreaders, shrouds, or ratlines. It is created by bundling thin lengths of rope, cordage, or synthetic fibers together, then tying them onto the rigging in a manner that allows the stands to hang down and interact with the standing rigging.

    Overall, baggywrinkle is an essential component of rigging protection, prolonging the lifespan of the rigging and ensuring the safety and functionality of naval vessels, sailing ships, and other maritime craft.

Common Misspellings for BAGGYWRINKLE

  • vaggywrinkle
  • naggywrinkle
  • haggywrinkle
  • gaggywrinkle
  • bzggywrinkle
  • bsggywrinkle
  • bwggywrinkle
  • bqggywrinkle
  • bafgywrinkle
  • bavgywrinkle
  • babgywrinkle
  • bahgywrinkle
  • baygywrinkle
  • batgywrinkle
  • bagfywrinkle
  • bagvywrinkle
  • bagbywrinkle
  • baghywrinkle
  • bagyywrinkle
  • bagtywrinkle


The word "baggywrinkle" dates back to the 19th century and has nautical origins. It is derived from "baggy", meaning loose or saggy, and "wrinkle", referring to a crease or fold in fabric.

In sailing, "baggywrinkle" specifically refers to a protective covering made of soft material, such as old rope, used to prevent chafing or damage to sails and rigging caused by rubbing or contact with other objects. The term is derived from the appearance of these soft coverings, which often form loose, wrinkle-like folds when installed on the rigging.



Add the infographic to your website: