What are the antonyms for ABASE?
- aggrandize, canonize, deify, dignify, elevate, ennoble, enshrine, ensky, enthrone, exalt, glorify, habilitate, magnify, promote, reclaim, redeem, reform, regenerate, rehabilitate.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABASE
- For what a fellow- dramatist calls this " Sunset Shadow of a King," no man or woman could abase every hope and energy. - "Life of Robert Browning" by William Sharp
- To permit the old worship, not from a sense of justice but as an article of bargain with a foreign power, was not only to abase the government of the States but to convert every sincere Catholic throughout the republic into a grateful adherent of Philip and the archdukes. - "Project Gutenberg History of The Netherlands, 1555-1623, Complete" by John Lothrop Motley
- Ah, friend, I feel within me untold powers - for evil, possibly,- which nothing can lower, which the sternest commands of our religion are unable to abase! - "The Village Rector" by Honore de Balzac
- Thus we place no garland around the vices of the human race: thus we abase, and thus we exalt: thus are we humbled to the dust, thus are we raised to the highest heavens. - "Modern Substitutes for Christianity" by Pearson McAdam Muir
- Why did you abase me?" - "A Narrative of Captivity in Abyssinia With Some Account of the Late Emperor Theodore, His Country and People" by Henry Blanc