What are the antonyms for ABASE?
- deify, elevate, reclaim, dignify, exalt, canonize, ensky, redeem, aggrandize, enthrone, reform, regenerate, enshrine, rehabilitate, glorify, ennoble, habilitate, promote, magnify.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABASE
- For what a fellow dramatist calls this Sunset Shadow of a King no man or woman could abase every hope and energy - "Life of Robert Browning" by William Sharp
- To permit the old worship not from a sense of justice but as an article of bargain with a foreign power was not only to abase the government of the States but to convert every sincere Catholic throughout the republic into a grateful adherent of Philip and the archdukes - "Project Gutenberg History of The Netherlands, 1555-1623, Complete" by John Lothrop Motley
- Ah friend I feel within me untold powers for evil possibly which nothing can lower which the sternest commands of our religion are unable to abase - "The Village Rector" by Honore de Balzac
- Thus we place no garland around the vices of the human race thus we abase and thus we exalt thus are we humbled to the dust thus are we raised to the highest heavens - "Modern Substitutes for Christianity" by Pearson McAdam Muir
- Why did you abase me - "A Narrative of Captivity in Abyssinia With Some Account of the Late Emperor Theodore, His Country and People" by Henry Blanc