What are the antonyms for ABASED?
- aristocratic, blue-blooded, genteel, gentle, grand, great, noble, patrician, wellborn, silk stocking, upper class.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABASED
- And were it possible to reduce universal and necessary principles to general principles, in order to employ and apply these principles thus abased, and to found upon them any reasoning whatever, it would be necessary to admit what is called in logic the principle of contradiction, viz. - "Lectures on the true, the beautiful and the good" by Victor Cousin
- The exhibition is a droll one; but it always gives me a painful feeling: I do not like to see the effigy of a time- honoured sage abased. - "Notes of an Overland Journey Through France and Egypt to Bombay" by Miss Emma Roberts
- Indeed, what has the power of the East to allege to our dishonour; but the fall of Crassus, that power which was itself overthrown and abased by Ventidius, with the loss of the great King Pacorus bereft of his life? - "Tacitus on Germany" by Tacitus
- Lo, I look on the Curse of the Gold, and wrong amended by wrong, And love by love confounded, and the strong abased by the strong; And I order it all and amend it, and the deeds that are done I see, And none other beholdeth or knoweth; and who shall be wise unto me? - "The Story of Sigurd the Volsung and the Fall of the Niblungs" by William Morris
- He looked again at the dear grey head abased in his unworthy presence out of endless remorse for one error. - "The Unknown Sea" by Clemence Housman