What are the antonyms for ABASEMENT?
- advancement, ascent, creation, elevation, preference, preferment, promotion, rise, upgrade, upgrading.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABASEMENT
- They who after many wanderings were coming back to their first love, and they who had never come before, alike took his words of self- abasement as their own. - "Shenac's Work at Home" by Margaret Murray Robertson
- She thought that for her the gates of mercy would never open, and as in deep contrition and self- abasement she thought thus, a ray of brightness penetrated into the dismal abyss- a ray more vivid and glorious than the sunbeams which thaw the snow figures that the children make in their gardens. - "The Sand-Hills of Jutland" by Hans Christian Andersen
- There are, who, by abasement of their neighbour, Hope to excel, and therefore only long That from his greatness he may be cast down; There are, who power, grace, honour, and renown Fear they may lose because another rises, Thence are so sad that the reverse they love; And there are those whom injury seems to chafe, So that it makes them greedy for revenge, And such must needs shape out another's harm. - "Divine-Comedy-Longfellow-s-Translation-Complete" by Dante Alighieri
- His humility and self- abasement prepared him, through the grace of the Lord Jesus, for heights of power and honor seldom reached by ministers. - "Sketches of the Covenanters" by J. C. McFeeters
- And while King knelt behind the mullah and the whole camp faced Mecca in forehead- in- the- dust abasement there came a strange procession down the midst- not strange to the " Hills," where such sights are common, but strange to that camp and hour. - "King--of the Khyber Rifles" by Talbot Mundy