What are the antonyms for ABATE?
- abide, accelerate, accentuate, add, adjoin, aggrandize, amp, amplify, append, assess, augment, be, bide, breathe, brew, build up, churn, consolidate, continue, deepen, endure, enhance, enlarge, escalate, exist, expand, extend, gather, heighten, impose, intensify, keep up, loom, magnify, make, multiply, persist, put, redouble, remain, roil, seethe, stoke, strengthen, subjoin, subsist, Perdure, pick up, step up, pump up.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABATE
- John Laurens told his father that " there is a conduct observed towards" the General " by certain great men, which as it is humiliating, must abate his happiness.... - "The True George Washington [10th Ed.]" by Paul Leicester Ford
- Anything that's on, I'm to abate in. - "The Fourth Series Plays, Complete" by John Galsworthy
- The Baal Shem did not, however, abate one jot of his prayers, and it was not till eve that they set out. - "Dreamers of the Ghetto" by I. Zangwill
- By degrees the elephant's anger seemed to abate, and he stood whisking his tail and flapping his ears, playing with his young charges. - "In the Wilds of Africa" by W.H.G. Kingston
- Nothing but death could abate his zeal in the good cause. - "Sages and Heroes of the American Revolution" by L. Carroll Judson