What are the antonyms for ABBREVIATE?
- accelerate, add, adjoin, aggrandize, amplify, append, augment, build up, complexify, defer, develop, dilate, draw out, elongate, embarrass, enlarge, entangle, escalate, expand, expatiate, extend, lengthen, multiply, perplex, postpone, procrastinate, prolong, protract, stoke, subjoin, unfold, widen, Outstretch, pump up.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABBREVIATE
- Because it was unwieldy to spell the full patronymic, it was common practice to abbreviate written names by omitting the 'oon' and adding an abbreviation point, Jansz. - "The Part Borne by the Dutch in the Discovery of Australia 1606-1765" by J. E. Heeres
- He even protests that space compels him to abbreviate the story of what these old- time masters of surgery did to lay the foundation of modern surgical practices. - "Education: How Old The New" by James J. Walsh
- Marriage was looked upon by the best Romans as a citizen's duty; and for a man to abbreviate his widowed regrets was not regarded as censurable conduct; though, on the other hand, the constancy of widowed matrons was held in the highest honor. - "Roman Women Woman: In All Ages and in All Countries, Volume 2 (of 10)" by Alfred Brittain
- If your honors please, I have endeavored, so far as it was possible, to abbreviate what I have had to say on this subject. - "Trial of the Officers and Crew of the Privateer Savannah, on the Charge of Piracy, in the United States Circuit Court for the Southern District of New York" by A. F. Warburton
- In this country, where we have no titles, it is the custom to abbreviate everything except the title of " Reverend," which we always give to the clergy. - "Manners and Social Usages" by Mrs. John M. E. W. Sherwood