What are the antonyms for ABBREVIATION?
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABBREVIATION
- Forsooth, great is thy goodness: I cannot perceive, but that thy mercy is endless To such as fear thee in every generation, For it endureth without abbreviation. - "A Select Collection of Old English Plays, Volume I." by R. Dodsley
- He was really fond of me, and in my own interest wanted me to go through college with honors, but this was to me of trivial importance, compared with the abbreviation by a year of the captivity of college life. - "The Autobiography of a Journalist, Volume I" by William James Stillman
- The name " squaw" was first found in the language of the Naragansett tribe of Indians and is doubtless an abbreviation of the word " Esquaw." - "Colorado--The Bright Romance of American History" by F. C. Grable
- In the Western states, where the racoon is plentiful, they use the abbreviation 'coon when speaking of people. - "Diary in America, Series One" by Frederick Marryat (AKA Captain Marryat)
- But, about this time, the chief wife of Wang Ho having been greeted with amiable condescension by the chief wife of a high official of the Province, and therefrom in an almost equal manner by the wives of even higher officials, the one in question began to abandon herself to a more rapidly outlined manner of existence than formerly, and to involve Wang Ho in a like attitude, so that presently this ill- considering merchant, who but a short time before would have unhesitatingly cast himself bodily to earth on the approach of a city magistrate, now acquired the habit of alluding to mandarins in casual conversation by names of affectionate abbreviation. - "Kai Lung's Golden Hours" by Ernest Bramah Commentator: Hilaire Belloc