What are the antonyms for ABHORRENCE?
- clemency, appetite, craving, thirst, friendship, jones, yearning, devotion, lenience, hunger, favor, yen, leniency, quarter, charity, drive, affection, Letch, forbearance, passion, love, mercy, hankering, mercifulness, lenity, appetency, Thirstiness, devotedness, itch, lust, longing, desire, esteem, fondness, attachment.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABHORRENCE
- Well I'll be going anyhow said he rising for his abhorrence of his companion made him feel the storm and the hurricane a far preferable alternative - "St. Patrick's Eve" by Charles James Lever
- But when the Prince saw that neither mercy nor judgment nor execution of judgment would or could come near the heart of Mansoul he was touched with much compunction and said 'Surely this strange carriage of the town of Mansoul doth rather arise from ignorance of the manner and feats of war than from a secret defiance of us and abhorrence of their own lives or if they know the manner of the war of their own yet not the rites and ceremonies of the wars in which we are concerned when I make wars upon mine enemy Diabolus - "The Works of John Bunyan Volume 3" by John Bunyan
- That daughter also was one who hitherto had lived in an atmosphere of innocence purity and love one who shrank in abhorrence from all that was base or vile and this was the one before whose eyes was now placed the horrible record that had been made up before the world against her father's name - "The Living Link" by James De Mille
- An admiral was the abhorrence of Pontchartrain and an admiral who was an illegitimate son of the King he loathed - "The Memoirs of Louis XIV., Volume 4 And His Court and of The Regency" by Duc de Saint-Simon
- Nor would she have recalled them had she been able for it seemed to her that her love had become an evil thing and her whole being shrank from it in a species of horrified abhorrence even though she could not cast it out - "The Lamp in the Desert" by Ethel M. Dell