What are the antonyms for ABNEGATE?
- accept, adopt, assume, borrow, embrace, espouse, shoulder, take on, take over, undertake, take up, stand by.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for ABNEGATE
- He readily forgot the fact that he had himself been the first to initiate them into the rudiments of vice- to induce them to abnegate their self- respect, and to brave the opinion of the world and their own reproaches- while he could not brook that they should reduce him to a level with one of his own subjects, and that they should so far emancipate themselves as to feel a preference for younger and more attractive men when they had been honoured by his notice. - "The Life of Marie de Medicis, Vol. 1 (of 3)" by Julia Pardoe
- The chapter on human error was opened:" We are all of one family- all of us erring children- all of us bound to abnegate hatred: by love alone are we saved. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith" by George Meredith
- If that is love which fades out long before its object; if, when its object disappears behind the veil love rightly returns to earth, then are we of all creatures most miserable; for we abnegate a future. - "A New Atmosphere" by Gail Hamilton
- Lest I might be supposed to misrepresent, I will quote their own language: " No government can, voluntarily, relinquish its powers, and abnegate its authority without thereby inviting disorder, disquietude, and, in the end, its destruction." - "History and Ecclesiastical Relations of the Churches of the Presbyterial Order at Amoy, China" by J. V. N. Talmage
- In those days the strong made no pretence to protect the weak, or to abnegate their natural power. - "Hodge and His Masters" by Richard Jefferies