What are the antonyms for PROSCRIBE?
- accredit, allow, approbate, approve, authorize, certify, charter, confirm, countenance, cultivate, empower, enable, encourage, entitle, finalize, formalize, foster, green light, incubate, invest, let, nourish, nurture, permit, promote, qualify, ratify, suffer, vest, Homologate.
click here to check the spelling
Usage Examples for PROSCRIBE
- The Jesuits sent by the emperor Ferdinand to proscribe Lutheranism from Bohemia converted that flourishing kingdom comparatively into a desert - "Curiosities of Literature, Vol. 1 (of 3)" by Isaac D'Israeli
- It is doubtless of urgent importance that we should take our stand against the first named imperialism but we must proscribe all the imperialisms - "The Forerunners" by Romain Rolland
- But since Zwingli himself has set forth his relation to Luther it may be worth our while to listen to his own language The great and powerful of this world have begun to proscribe and render odious the doctrine of Christ under the name of Luther so that they by whom it is preached are called Lutherans - "The Life and Times of Ulric Zwingli" by Johann Hottinger
- Rome was indeed an Imperial State you may tell me I know not I cannot read the counsels of Providence a State having a mission to subdue the world but a State whose very basis it was to deny the equal rights to proscribe the independent existence of other nations - "Selected-Speeches-on-British-Foreign-Policy-1738-1914" by Jones, Edgar R. (Edgar Rees), Sir
- I am quite aware of the fact that certain religions proscribe the use of meat - "The Pros and Cons of Vivisection" by Charles Richet Commentator: W. D. Halliburton