How Do You Spell TREWS?

Pronunciation: [tɹˈuːz] (IPA)

Trews are a type of Scottish trousers that resemble tight-fitting leggings. The spelling of the word "trews" is unusual and may cause confusion for those unfamiliar with Scottish dialect. The IPA phonetic transcription of the word is /tru:z/, which emphasizes the elongated "u" sound. The spelling can be explained by the fact that the word is derived from the Scottish Gaelic "triubhas," which underwent a process of anglicization over time. Despite its unusual spelling, the word has been widely adopted and remains a popular item of clothing in Scotland.

TREWS Meaning and Definition

Trews, also known as treusers, refer to a type of trousers or pants that originated in Scotland. Generally, these garments are characterized by their close-fitting and full-length design. Trews have been worn by both men and women, however, they are historically more associated with male attire.

Traditionally, trews are constructed using tartan fabric, which is a particular type of patterned woolen cloth that features horizontal and vertical colored lines crossing over each other. Tartan patterns vary significantly, and different clans or families in Scotland have their unique tartans. Trews are often made from tartan fabric that was specifically designed for a particular family or clan as a way of displaying their affiliation or clan identity.

The construction of trews differs from regular trousers as they do not have a waistband. Instead, they are typically high-waisted and fastened by a button or buckle on each side. Trews also typically have a footstrap or stirrup that goes under the foot to keep the fabric in place while wearing.

Over time, the term "trews" has expanded to encompass other styles of close-fitting trousers, regardless of the fabric used. Today, trews can be made from various materials such as cotton, linen, or synthetic fibers and may feature different patterns or solid colors. They can still be found in traditional Scottish attire, as well as in contemporary fashion as a stylish and unique alternative to regular trousers.

Common Misspellings for TREWS

Etymology of TREWS

The word "trews" originally comes from the Scottish Gaelic word "triubhas" or "triubhasan". "Triubhas" referred to a style of trousers or breeches worn in the Scottish Highlands during the 17th and 18th centuries. The English word "trews" is a phonetic borrowing of the Scottish Gaelic term. It has been widely used to refer to certain types of trousers, particularly those with a close-fitting design often associated with traditional Scottish dress.

Similar spelling words for TREWS


Add the infographic to your website: