How Do You Spell ZEUGMA?
Correct spelling for the English word "zeugma" is [ zjˈuːɡmə] (IPA phonetic alphabet).
Usage Examples for zeugma
- As Crassus was taking the army over the river at Zeugma he encountered preternaturally violent thunder, and the lightning flashed in the faces of the troops, and during the storm a hurricane broke upon the bridge, and carried part of it away; two thunderbolts fell upon the very place where the army was going to encamp; and one of the general's horses, magnificently caparisoned, dragged away the groom into the river and was drowned. - "Plutarch-Lives-of-the-noble-Grecians-and-Romans" by Clough, Arthur Hugh
- 62. Can a zeugma of the verb be proved to be right, in spite of these authorities? - "The Grammar of English Grammars" by Goold Brown
- 136 Zeugma or the single supply. - "The Arte of English Poesie" by George Puttenham
- Few however are ignorant enough, or rash enough, to deny that there may be an implicit or implied concord in such cases,- a zeugma of the verb in English, as well as of the verb or of the adjective in Latin or Greek. - "The Grammar of English Grammars" by Goold Brown
- Zeugma afterwards was a usual place for crossing the river; but a bridge of boats could hardly be permanently kept there, and it appears that Crassus had to construct a raft. - "Plutarch's Lives Volume III." by Plutarch