How Do You Spell ZEUGMA?
Correct spelling for the English word "zeugma" is [zjˈuːɡmə], [zjˈuːɡmə], [z_j_ˈuː_ɡ_m_ə]] (IPA phonetic alphabet).
Usage Examples for ZEUGMA
- As Crassus was taking the army over the river at Zeugma he encountered preternaturally violent thunder and the lightning flashed in the faces of the troops and during the storm a hurricane broke upon the bridge and carried part of it away two thunderbolts fell upon the very place where the army was going to encamp and one of the general's horses magnificently caparisoned dragged away the groom into the river and was drowned - "Plutarch-Lives-of-the-noble-Grecians-and-Romans" by Clough, Arthur Hugh
- 62 Can a zeugma of the verb be proved to be right in spite of these authorities - "The Grammar of English Grammars" by Goold Brown
- 136 Zeugma or the single supply - "The Arte of English Poesie" by George Puttenham
- Few however are ignorant enough or rash enough to deny that there may be an implicit or implied concord in such cases a zeugma of the verb in English as well as of the verb or of the adjective in Latin or Greek - "The Grammar of English Grammars" by Goold Brown
- Zeugma afterwards was a usual place for crossing the river but a bridge of boats could hardly be permanently kept there and it appears that Crassus had to construct a raft - "Plutarch's Lives Volume III." by Plutarch