How Do You Spell GABLED?

Pronunciation: [ɡˈe͡ɪbə͡ld] (IPA)

The word "gabled" is spelled with a silent "e" at the end, despite the fact that the last syllable is pronounced like "bull." This is because the "e" is needed to indicate that the "a" in "gable" is pronounced like "ay," as in "play." The IPA phonetic transcription of "gabled" is /ˈɡeɪbəld/. It's important to pay attention to the spelling and pronunciation of words like "gabled" in order to improve one's overall reading and writing abilities.

GABLED Meaning and Definition

  1. Gabled is an adjective used to describe a type of architectural feature commonly found on roofs. Specifically, it refers to a roof or part of a roof that has a triangular shape formed by two sloping sides that meet at a central ridge, creating a peaked or pointed structure.

    The gabled design is characterized by its distinctive triangular shape, which provides several functional and aesthetic advantages. From a functional standpoint, the sloping sides of a gabled roof help to shed rainwater and snow more effectively than flat roofs, preventing water accumulation and potential structural damage. Additionally, the steep slope of gabled roofs allows for efficient drainage, reducing the risk of leaks and improving overall weather resistance.

    Aesthetically, gabled roofs are widely appreciated for their classic and timeless appeal. The sharp angles created by the sloping sides add a sense of height, grandeur, and architectural interest to buildings. Gabled roofs are often associated with traditional or colonial-style homes, as well as certain architectural styles such as Gothic or Tudor.

    Gabled roofs can vary in size and complexity, from a simple triangular shape above a single window or door to more elaborate designs seen on larger buildings and structures. The term "gabled" can also be used to describe other architectural elements, such as windows or dormers, that exhibit a similar triangular shape.

Common Misspellings for GABLED

Etymology of GABLED

The word "gabled" comes from the Middle English term "gabel", which originated from the Old French word "gabul", meaning a triangular-shaped front or end of a building. The Old French term can be traced back to the Late Latin word "gabbulum", referring to a small fork or a tool with two prongs. Ultimately, the root of the word can be found in the Latin term "gabalus", which means roof or covering.

Similar spelling words for GABLED


Add the infographic to your website: